A public electricity utility concessionaire, Energy of Cameroon (ENEO) estimates that electricity supply has improved in recent months. Based on “letters of appreciation” from the public, the company notes “a significant drop of over 50% in alerts to household and business customers for power outages.” These are the first signs of increased investment in the production and distribution segments following the fundraising in early 2021 on the local banking market of CFAF 100 billion.
“This customer perception is aligned with the improvement of key indicators of service quality assessment. An 18% decrease in the duration of outages compared to last year. A 16% drop in the frequency of outages. Overall, ENEO records an improvement in the supply-demand balance and the stability of its distribution network, “the company said in an activity report. However, with the onset of low water levels, consumers expect ENEO to take up the challenge of load shedding, the long outages of which often paralyze the functioning of businesses and households.
With a view to providing long-lasting solutions, the continuation of life extension work in large hydroelectric facilities, the implementation of maintenance plans for thermal production plants, the implementation of key actions are planned. strengthening of the distribution network with the extension of poles and the construction of new distribution lines.
In 2021, out of approximately 2,400 Megawatts (MW) of the installed electricity mix, ENEO contributed 70% to the production of energy served to households and businesses in Cameroon, the remaining 30% being produced by independent producers. “Since 2014, the company has securely connected more than 700,000 new families and industries. At the end of June 2020, the rate of access to electricity in Cameroon was 63% against 49% in 2013 “, she explains.